Between 1716 and 1734, the Church of the Holy Trinity, which had existed at least since before 1587, was rebuilt. At the apex of a flight of steps, the building has an austere façade divided into three parts marked vertically by pillars and counter-pillars of Tuscanic order, placed on high pedestals to frame three portals (surmounted by a curved central tympanum and triangular side tympanums) and concluded, above a trabeation rising from the pillars, by a central triangular pediment.
The building is in Baroque style with a central plan, covered by a dome set into an octagonal lantern crowned tiburium and, from the inside, the high altar and decorative apparatus are of interest.
The high altar is the work of Nicodemo Mancini from Pescocostanzo in 1750; the two side altars, as well as the decoration of the parapets of the choir stalls reveal the hand of a plasterer from Lombardy. The frescoes are the work of the painter Giambattista Gamba from Chieti in 1732, with the exception of the encaustic paintings in the dome by P. Colombo Cordeschi from Lucoli in 1920.
The mention of the sculptural decoration of the façade of the Holy Trinity refers to a craft tradition in Popoli that has been alive for centuries: a ‘Milanese plasterer’ Antonio Sonsini is mentioned.
Source: Popoli città d’arte e natura della Carsa Edizioni
Authors: Federico Palmerini, Andrea De Melis
Project: work-school with the “Amedeo di Savoia” high school (Popoli)